So I wanted to do something special here on my blog in honor of the holiday season, gift-giving, etc. Backstory: my friends and I used to come up with ideas for playlists and then we all had to make one based on whatever theme we decided. One of those times was to make a playlist based on a book we wanted the others to read. I chose The Hunger Games (this was back when it wasn’t as popular, so none of my friends had read it yet). I thought it would be fun to share with you! I also made ones for the other two books in the trilogy, which I’ll be posting in the next two weeks.
Note: This playlist follows the book, so listen in order! I’m including little explanations so you can see why I chose each song. Sometimes it was the lyrics, sometimes just the feel of the song. You can listen to this song on YouTube or Spotify.
1. Wake Up, Arcade Fire – the title fits literally as Katniss wakes up, but also it fits Katniss because she had to grow up so quickly and provide for her family.
2. Tragedy Bound, The Bravery – this one is for the feel rather than the lyrics. I thought of this when Prim’s name gets pulled for the Games. Katniss’s life just felt so tragic in that moment when, even after all she’d done, she couldn’t protect Prim.
3. Leaving So Soon?, Keane – for when Katniss has so little time to say goodbye to her family.
4. Come Home, OneRepublic – from Gale’s perspective, wanting Katniss to come back.
5. Let the Flames Begin, Paramore – when Katniss and Peeta enter the arena and Katniss becomes the Girl on Fire.
6. Maybe, Secondhand Serenade – from Peeta’s perspective after he shocks Katniss by revealing his love for her.
7. Firefight, Jimmy Eat World – the moment when Katniss decides to go after the backpack in the Cornucopia.
8. Feeling Lucky, Jimmy Eat World – when Katniss is in the tree above Cato and the Careers.
9. Use Somebody, Kings of Leon – when Katniss and Rue become allies.
10. Lullaby, Dixie Chicks – when Katniss sings to Rue as she dies.
11. Into the West, Annie Lennox – another song for Rue’s death.
12. Everything’s Not Lost, Coldplay – when the rules are changed and there’s a chance that both Katniss and Peeta can live.
13. Oh Star, Paramore – when Katniss watches over Peeta as he’s dying from blood poisoning and she decides to go to Cornucopia to get the medicine.
14. Break Me Out, The Rescues – when Katniss and Peeta decide to go to Cato to end the Games.
15. Conspiracy, Paramore – when Katniss finds out that the President is angry at her for fooling his Games and she has to act crazy in love.
16. The Tension and the Terror, Straylight Run – Katniss acting like a crazy kid in love when she first sees Peeta on stage after he’s been healed.
17. Season of Love, Shiny Toy Guns – how Peeta and Katniss act when they get out of the Games.
18. Beautiful is Gone, The Ruse – how Peeta feels when Katniss tells him about the President’s threat and he doesn’t know if her love was real.
19. Fistful of Sand, The Bravery – as Katniss watches Peeta walk away from her outside the train on the way home.
20. Keeper, Yellowcard – how Peeta and Katniss feel about each other.
21. This is Not the End, The Bravery – Katniss knowing that the Games will follow her back to District 12.
22. Sleeping with Giants (Lifetime), The Academy Is… – how Katniss feels as the boy with the bread slips away as they hold hands with the train door about to open onto their home.
23. This Is Home, Switchfoot – when Katniss and Peeta are finally back in District 12.