Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week we get a new topic for a top ten list. This was a great year for reading for me…I read so many awesome books, it’s hard to choose just ten! Here are my favorites from 2012. Note: these are books I read in 2012, not ones that were necessarily published in 2012.
10. The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater. I’m a sucker for a book with private school boys, but then again…who isn’t? Especially ones whose names are Gansey and Ronan. So posh! Luckily, this series also has heart, action, and a bit of the paranormal. I can’t wait to find out what happens next.
9. The Diviners, Libba Bray. Sam Lloyd = sa-woon. Oh, and also there’s an excellent creep factor and a great cast of characters.
8. If I Stay, Gayle Forman. I was late to the party, but now I’m fully on the Gayle Forman bandwagon. This book is beautifully written and pulls on your heartstrings.
7. The Girl of Fire and Thorns/The Crown of Embers, Rae Carson. Ok, I’m cheating by listing two, but I read both of these practically back-to-back this year because they’re just that good. It’s impossible not to root for Elisa or fall in love with Hector.
6. Fly By Night, Frances Hardinge. This book is just wonderful.
5. The City in the Lake, Rachel Neumeier. This author has firmly cemented herself on my list of favorite fantasy authors of all time. Now I just want to read all of her books.
4. Cold Magic/Cold Fire, Kate Elliott. I’m cheating again, but this is another case of reading back-to-back. This series has a kickass heroine, the sexiest love interest EVER, and dangerous magic.
3. The Passage, Justin Cronin. This is the kind of book where once you pick it up, you can’t put it down until you finish. This is the creepiest, most terrifying, most horrifying, most heartbreaking story.
2. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making/The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There, Catherynne M. Valente. These are the only two books to get a perfect 10 quills rating on my blog this year. That word says everything you need to know about this series: perfect.
Aaaaaand my number 1 book of 2012 is…
1. The Fault in Our Stars, John Green. This one of the best books I’ve ever read.