This may be a book blog, but I tend to talk about movies and tv a lot too, so I thought I’d share my list of favorites in other categories from 2012 (in no particular order).
1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower. OMG I was blown away by this movie. I’ve only read the book once, and that was a long time ago, so I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the movie. Basically a minute into it and I knew how I felt…the movie is wonderful. If you need convincing, read my post on why you should see it.
2. The Avengers. I’m a superhero movie fanatic. I even like the bad ones that everyone hates. This movie is fun and epic and of course it made my list of favorites.
3. The Dark Knight Rises. Batman Begins is my favorite superhero movie ever (though I consider The Dark Knight to be the best superhero movie that will ever be made); I can’t believe this trilogy has come to an end. While there were many problems with The Dark Knight Rises, I still enjoyed it.
4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Oh, how I’ve waited for this movie. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is the only instance I can think of where I like the movies more than the books. The Hobbit reminded me of all the reasons why I love The Lord of the Rings while still managing to be a different version of the same world. Also, I just want to say that when Thranduil rides in on a giant freaking elk, looks at the fighting dwarves, is like “nahhhhh” and leaves is probably one of my favorite moments ever. Also, I get chills when I listen to the dwarves sing. Also…Kili is a hott dwarf.
5. Silver Linings Playbook. I’m glad I waited to write this list, because I literally just saw this movie today and it’s so good. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are amazing. It’s dark and funny and awkward and heartwarming all at the same time.
1. The Legend of Korra. Avatar: The Last Airbender is probably my favorite television show of all time. This seems odd, since it’s a Nickelodeon cartoon, but seriously watch the first episode and you’ll fall in love. This show has a depth I’ve never seen before with cartoons. The Legend of Korra is so amazing because it’s like this world has grown with its audience. The characters are a bit older and the world’s a little darker. The best part? A totally kickass female protagonist.
2. Firefly. So I watched this on Netflix and now I feel the fury/sadness that this show got canceled because it’s awesome.
3. The Mindy Project. I wasn’t that impressed with the pilot, but this show keeps getting better and funnier. This is the only new show I picked up this year.
4. The Vampire Diaries. This continues to be one of my favorite shows on air right now. One of the most powerful and haunting scenes I’ve seen in television in a long time was in the mid-season finale a few weeks ago where Klaus (AWESOME) does something truly terrible while “Oh, Holy Night” plays in the background.
5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I think I may’ve watched some episodes when this show first aired, but this past spring I started from the beginning since it was on Netflix Instant…and watched all seven seasons in a row. It’s that good. Also…Spike. Enough said.
1. Fallen Empires, Snow Patrol. I love Snow Patrol. Their newest album brings in some new sound while still maintaining the unique quality that is Snow Patrol. Favorite song: Called Out in the Dark.
2. Red, Taylor Swift. I didn’t like Red as much as I liked Speak Now, but that didn’t stop me from listening to this nonstop in my car since it was released. Favorite song: The Last Time (this choice is no surprise…it features Gary Lightbody from Snow Patrol).
3. The Hunger Games: Songs from District 12 and Beyond, Various Artists. I was really impressed with the artists featured on this album. I like every song, and I feel like every song fits the movie well. Favorite songs: Safe & Sound, Daughter’s Lament.
4. Night Visions, Imagine Dragons. I came to this one from The Perks of Being a Wallflower, which featured “It’s Time” in the trailer. The rest of the album is just as good. Favorite songs: It’s Time, Radioactive.
5. Scars and Stories, The Fray. The Fray is one of those bands where I know I’m going to like whatever they’re making. This album is no exception. Favorite song: Be Still.
1. Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette. I’ve been coveting this one for a while, and I finally got it for Christmas! I’ve only used it twice, but I already don’t want to use any other eyeshadow.
2. L’Oreal Colour Riche Lipcolour in Toasted Almond. I’ve recently become obsessed with lipstick, and this color is the perfect neutral lipstick. Great for everyday wear.
3. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Glisten and Tarte Blushing Beauty Bamboo Domed Blush Brush. I’ve never been a blush person, but this one is amazing. The brush, also by Tarte, is perfect for applying.
4. Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo. I have bangs, so dry shampoo is a must for me. This one smells great and brushes out really well. Also, it’s super cheap.
5. Neutrogena Light Night Cream. I use an Aveeno moisturizer for my face during the day, but it has SPF so it’s not good for at night. This Neutrogena lotion is lightweight and perfect for moisturizing your face while sleeping.