Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week we get a new topic for a top ten list. Having been bookish for so long, I have a ton of great book-related memories. Here are ten of my favorite.
1. Reading the final Harry Potter book for the first time. I of course waited in line for hours and got my copy at midnight. I read straight through and I just remember putting it down, my face covered in tears, and thinking, that’s it. No more Harry Potter.
2. Waiting in line for HP7: Part 1. This movie was the first time I decided to dress up. I went with a group of people and we dressed up as the seven horcruxes (plus Voldemort because we had eight people). My artistic friend made us t-shirts where we had the number of our horcrux on the front (the order in which they were destroyed) and the name of the horcrux on the back. We all had horcrux props too. Basically it was awesome because everyone loved our costumes and people wanted photos of us!
3. Meeting Gayle Forman. I feel like I’ve been talking about this a lot, but she’s just so amazing! Chatting with her was probably one of the highlights of my life. If you have the chance to go to one of her events, DO IT.
4. Going to a John Green event. This was my first author event and it was so much fun! John Green is a great speaker and I got Looking for Alaska signed, which is my favorite of his books.
5. Popcorn reading a cheesy romance novel. My freshman year of college, my friend and I bought one of those ridiculous romance novels at CVS as a gag-gift for another friend. Then a bunch of us did some popcorn reading, and it was predictably hilarious.
6. Having a librarian hand me my first Diana Wynne Jones book. This memory is a bit hazy because I was so young, but basically my mother asked a librarian at our local library to recommend some books because I was having no luck. The librarian immediately took me over to DWJ’s section. I’m pretty sure the book that started it all was Howl’s Moving Castle.
7. Attending a panel that featured Maggie Stiefvater and Katie McGarry (and others) at ALA. The authors on this panel were great and so entertaining. I ended up loving The Raven Boys and Pushing the Limits, two of the books I received after the panel.
8. Reading Neil Gaiman’s tribute post about Diana Wynne Jones after her death. I’ve never cried over a person I didn’t even know in real life until I read Gaiman’s words on Diana. She was so obviously not just an amazing author but an amazing person.
9. Going to HP world for the first time. This totally counts as a bookish memory! Drinking butterbeer, choosing a wand, and walking through Hogwarts made my visit to HP world one of the best days of my life. I can’t wait to go back once they expand the park.
10. Going to the midnight premieres of the Harry Potter movies. I know I mentioned one specifically already, but seriously midnight premieres are the best. I loved waiting in line for hours with a bunch of people who were just as excited as I was. It’s so much more fun watching movies like these in an audience of true fans. Everyone laughs, cries, and just all around has an awesome time together. Also, someone in the theater is bound to start a rendition of The Mysterious Ticking Noise.