Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week we get a new topic for a top ten list. I’ve already gone over my top five favorite female and male characters in fantasy books, so I’m broadening my list to all YA characters for this Top Ten Tuesday. I think if I narrow down to a specific YA genre, I’ll fall into a trap where I only list characters from one author (like if I go contemporary, they’ll all be Sarah Dessen characters or if I go dystopian, they’ll all be from The Hunger Games). So here are ten of my favorite YA characters of the moment.
1. Maddie and Queenie, Code Name Verity. Words can’t explain how much I love these two girls. Yes, I’m cheating by listing two, but really…you can’t separate them.
2. Finnick Odair, Catching Fire and Mockingjay. One of the most powerful moments of the series for me was when Finnick confessed on camera to how the Capitol was using him. He also has the purest love story of the series.
3. Macy Queen, The Truth About Forever. Macy is my soul sister.
4. Elisa, The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Elisa is the champion of anyone who’s ever felt insecure or not enough in life.
5. Gansey, The Raven Boys. I don’t know what it is about Gansey, but I love him so much.
6. Gemma Doyle, A Great and Terrible Beauty. Gemma is an awesome heroine with agency.
7. Alanna, The First Adventure. Alanna is the original kickass heroine.
8. Tiger Lily, Tiger Lily. My heart just aches for Tiger Lily.
9. Four, Divergent. Finally a hero who lets his heroine stand on her own and treats her like an equal.
10. Lyra, His Dark Materials. Lyra is fierce and wild and loyal. Now I really want to reread this series.