Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week we get a new topic for a top ten list. I’ve read and loved a lot of books over the years, so choosing just ten for this week’s topic was really hard. Note: assume that Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Queen’s Thief, The Hunger Games, Sarah Dessen, Markus Zusak, and Diana Wynne Jones are at the top of this list. I’m leaving them off because I feel like I mention them in every post I write and I want to mix it up a bit.
1. Summers at Castle Auburn, Sharon Shinn. One of the loveliest fantasies I’ve ever read. Coriel starts off as a child, but she matures over the story. She fights for what she believes in and I love reading her story. Also the romance is totally swoon-worthy.
2. Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Heroes of Olympus, Rick Riordan. I love Percy Jackson. I’m actually torn over which series is my favorite. Of course I love the original, but Heroes of Olympus is just so. good.
3. Crown Duel, Sherwood Smith. This book is criminally underrated. It’s actually two books in one volume. My paperback copy has so many creases from all the times I’ve reread it.
4. Divergent, Veronica Roth. This was the first dystopian series that I read after The Hunger Games and I became obsessed. Then I got my friend to read it and she became obsessed too. I’m so rereading the series before the final book comes out this fall.
5. The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking), Patrick Ness. This series is amazing. Intense, emotional, creative, and gripping. READ IT.
6. The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials), Philip Pullman. Oh man, just thinking about this series makes me want to drop everything and reread it, which I haven’t done in years.
7. Ella Enchanted, Gail Carson Levine. My favorite fairytale retelling of all time.
8. A Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L’Engle. I first read this book in the seventh grade when it was a required reading. Best school assignment ever.
9. The Blue Sword, Robin McKinley. I’ve reread this book countless times. It has everything: romance, battles, smart animal companions who don’t die, a fierce heroine.
10. Sabriel (Abhorsen), Garth Nix. Words cannot express how excited I am that a new story in this universe is coming out soon. All I can do is flail about and scream excitedly.