Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week we get a new topic for a top ten list. The ending makes or breaks a series. Here are five of my favorite series enders and five of the ones that weren’t so great. Warning: Inevitable spoilers!!!
1. Immortals Quartet, Tamora Pierce. This is my favorite Pierce series and I just love how open with possibility the ending was. My favorite couple got together, but you know that’s not the end of their story.
2. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman. This ending will never not make me cry.
3. Abhorsen Trilogy, Garth Nix. The reason why I love this ending so much is because of the choice one character makes after centuries of ambiguity.
4. Seven Realms Series, Cinda Williams Chima. I shipped Han and Raisa so hard, so when everything worked out, I was so freaking happy.
6. Delirium Trilogy, Lauren Oliver. So, so disappointing. This definitely a love/hate case with readers…I’ve seen people who thought the ending was perfect, but the majority seemed to hate it.
7. Maze Runner Series, James Dashner. This one is a case where I still recommend the series even though I hated the ending. I felt like it was a huge cop-out relationship-wise and not what I expected. The first two books are so good though, so the series is worth reading.
8. Unearthly Trilogy, Cynthia Hand. This mostly has to do with the fact that I was team Christian and anti-cowboy lol. But also I felt there was this huge deus ex machina thing going on that I didn’t like.
9. Gemma Doyle Trilogy, Libba Bray. I don’t feel as strongly about this one as I do the others. I will say I haven’t read this in forever so I don’t remember it too well, but I do remember feeling very blah about how it ended. Maybe if I read the whole series again now I would feel differently, but at the time it was a letdown.
10. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Ann Brashares. By the end of this series, I felt like I didn’t even know the characters anymore. They were so different and just wrong and I missed the ones I fell in love with in the first book.