Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week we get a new topic for a top ten list. Character names are super important to me. If I hate a name, it ruins my whole reading experience. Here are ten characters that I think have the best names. This list was pretty tough to make since I’m so picky!
1. Park Sheridan from Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. I’ve never seen a character named Park before, so I love how unique it is. It helps that I love the character so much too.
3. Karou from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor. Another case where I love the name because it’s unique.
4. Ronan Lynch from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. Somehow this name perfectly captures the character.
5. September from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making series by Catherynne M. Valente. Basically everything about this series is unique and magical and I honestly could’ve picked any of the names since I love them all. But I love the idea that September, who can access fairyland, is named after something ordinary from our world.
6. Kialan from The Dalemark Quartet by Diana Wynne Jones. I would seriously consider naming my kid this. I don’t care if it’s a made-up word.
7. Stargirl Caraway from Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. Have you ever heard a more whimsical name?
8. Annabel Greene from Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. My favorite name of the Dessen girls.
9. Sameth from Lirael/Abhorsen by Garth Nix. I’m not sure why I like this one so much. I think because it’s a different version of a non-fantasy name, so I like the little twist to make it a fantasy name.
10. Four Eaton from the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. I completely refuse to call him anything other than Four. I like to pretend that his real, much stupider name doesn’t exist. I don’t understand why he would want to be called something that’s a million times less badass than Four.