Jamie from The Perpetual Page-Turner is hosting her 2013 End of Year Book Survey again! I loved filling this out last year, so I’m excited to take a look back at 2013 and all the books I’ve read this year!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein. Hands down. It’s been almost a year and I still feel like I’m reeling from how amazing this book was.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Burning Sky, Sherry Thomas. Everything about this one sounded like a me book and tons of people seemed to love it, but I just wasn’t wowed.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Unearthly, Cynthia Hand. If you read my blog, you know I’m not much of a paranormal girl, but this series totally had me hooked from the start!
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Tiger Lily, Jodi Lynn Anderson. So beautiful.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Throne of Glass, Sarah J. Maas. I love these books. SO MUCH. As a diehard fantasy fan, if I say it’s good, you know it’s really good.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
The Fifth Wave, Rick Yancey. This was one of the year’s biggest releases, and the hype was spot-on. I raced through this one!
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Throne of Glass/Crown of Midnight, Sarah J. Maas. I have a feeling this is going to be a life-long love for me.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Eleanor & Park, Rainbow Rowell. I think it’s the headphones making an ampersand that really get me.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
All Our Pretty Songs, Sarah McCarry. The prose in this novel is so…lush.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Allegiant, Veronica Roth. It feels like I’ve waited forever to find out how this series would end. I know a lot of people hated it, but I was satisfied. It’s always a big impact when one of your favorite series ends.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Anna and the French Kiss, Stephanie Perkins. This book would show up on TTT lists practically every week, so I knew I would have to read it eventually. And I’m so happy I did! Stephanie Perkins is now one of my favorite contemporary authors.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
Tiger Lily, Jodi Lynn Anderson.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
The Kingdom of Gods, N.K. Jemisin – 613 pages. I knew the longest book would be a fantasy one!
First Test, Tamora Pierce – 240 pages. Aaaand the shortest one is too.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Unravel Me, Tahereh Mafi. CHAPTER 62. I’m fanning myself just thinking about it.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Friendship – Maddie and Queenie from Code Name Verity. You basically can’t find a better friendship than this. True love, folks.
Romance – Celaena and Chaol from Throne of Glass. I ship it. I ship it HARD.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Dream Thieves, Maggie Stiefvater. This series just gets better and better.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Vampire Academy. Betty talks about this so much, I had to read it just to get her to shut up! Hahaha
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
I didn’t count, but I’m guessing fantasy or dystopian.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Chaol from Throne of Glass. Good lord, I love this guy.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
All Our Pretty Songs. I barely read any debuts this year, so this was basically my default answer. Good thing I actually really enjoyed it!
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Siege and Storm, Leigh Bardugo. Those Darkling monsters? Creepy! That Darkling? Smokin’ hot!
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Fangirl. Probably because I used to be really into fanfiction, so it was like I was reading about my people.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
I ugly cried reading Code Name Verity. I also reread The Book Thief this year for book club and I thought I would be able to handle it. Nope, cried like a baby.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
The Darkest Minds, Alexandra Bracken. I’d barely heard anything about this one! I bought it on a whim when the Kindle version went on sale and I’m so glad I did.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
Rather Be Reading. Estelle and Magan have the prettiest blog! I love how they review a wide variety of books and incorporate other creative posts into their blog.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I loved everyone’s comments on my post asking why everyone is reading the same thing. Check it out for some great recommendations and thoughts on the topic! I’ve been woefully behind on blogging things, so I haven’t gotten a chance to add to my GR TBR shelf yet, but I know I’ll have some to add after going through the comments again.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
I know I’ve read a ton of awesome posts this year, but I can’t think of a single one! Why does this always happen??
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The awesome author signing at Books of Wonder in NYC that I went to with book club. We got to meet Rainbow Rowell and eat cupcakes! Also when Betty and I made t-shirts for the Tahereh Mafi/Ransom Riggs signing. Team Warner forever!
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
JOINING BOOK CLUB! Seriously, I love these ladies and we have so much fun together! I was initially wary of joining a book club that I heard about on Twitter, but I’m so glad I took the chance.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
25 Standalone Books to Read after Series Burnout. This one has gotten a lot of love on Pinterest and Tumblr. It makes me so happy that people get the same feeling I do.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
25 Books for the Fantasy Newbie. I’m always trying to make people read more fantasy!
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
I love Children’s Book World in Haverford. It’s an adorable indie bookstore that hosts awesome author events. I’ve seen Gayle Forman there twice and both times were so memorable! The people who work there are the friendliest and always make you feel welcome.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
*Cough* No. *Cough* I totally failed at my Goodreads challenge this year. But I have a good excuse! I got a new job and moved to a new city!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Champion, Marie Lu. Considering how recently I read Prodigy, I’m primed to finish this series.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
Clariel, Garth Nix. Abhorsen book, Abhorsen book! I’ve basically been talking about this nonstop since I found out about it. Though I just heard (in a comment somewhere I think) that the date might be pushed back?? I have my fingers crossed for a 2014 release!
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Midnight Thief, Livia Blackburne. Was there ever any doubt that this answer would be a fantasy book?
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
If you saw my TTT post about the 2014 books I’m dying for, then you know I’m looking forward to a TON of series enders.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Comment on other blogs more! I am the worst at commenting and it always make me feel so guilty!