Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish where each week we get a new topic for a top ten list. So I mentioned in my TTT bookish resolutions post that I wanted to read more debuts this year because I’ve been burned in the past and have kind of avoided the whole thing. It was basically impossible for me to come up with any, let alone ten, debuts for this list, so I headed over to trusty GR and trolled the lists of 2014 YA debuts and chose ones that piqued my interest. Hopefully, I’ll actually read some of these this year.
1. Control, Lydia Kang. Secret DNA? Nightclubs? ECSTASY?? Literally none of this sounds up my alley, but hey, maybe that’s the point of trying debuts.
2. A Mad, Wicked Folly, Sharon Biggs Waller. Hello, awesome title, I didn’t see you over there. But also I love a good high society story.
3. Midnight Thief, Livia Blackburne. Wait a second, I actually have heard of a 2014 debut! I reviewed the prequel novella to this one and it totally piqued my interest in this world.
4. The Fifty-Seven Lives of Alex Wayfare, M. G. Buehrlen. Hold up, here’s another I know about because Mandy runs YABC and I’m an editor over there (and she’s awesome)! But even if I didn’t review for YABC I would still be interested in this one because past lives are super cool.
5. Salvage, Alexandra Duncan. So the cover might be a bit ridiculous, but I’ve heard this is a feminist sci-fi story and we all know we need more of those!
6. Sekret, Lindsay Smith. Psychic spies?! Sounds baller.
7. Love Letters to the Dead, Ava Dellaira. I haven’t really felt like reading much contemporary lately, but this one sounds like a tearjerker for sure.
8. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, Leslye Walton. This one looks like it could be either really weird or really heartbreaking or maybe even both.
9. The Nethergrim, Matthew Jobin. I love a good MG fantasy! Or just a good MG in general…I really need to read more MG books.
10. Cruel Beauty, Rosamund Hodge. I apparently can’t resist a fairytale retelling.